The Canada-India diplomatic row has left many frustrated and confused. Maintaining peaceful and stable relations between countries is indeed crucial for global harmony and cooperation. What seemed like a small political row, isn’t really that small. Both Canada and India are sovereign nations with their interests, values, and priorities.
Diplomacy, dialogue, and peaceful conflict resolution are typically the preferred methods for addressing any differences or disputes that may arise between countries. But the sudden collapse in talks and the escalation of issues on a world stage has hurt both nations.
People Speak on Canada-India fight
“I don’t think common people really care for politics (between Canada and India) as long as that doesn’t affect their day-to-day life. But here, in such a scenario, it impacts Indians like me, who immigrated to this country for a better life, yet have ties back home, to maintain a smooth relationship. My family is in India, and I visit them from time to time. The refusal or the shutting down was a gross inconvenience,” says AArti Singh. However, after many days, the visa for India has started once again, and that is good news.”
A steady influx of highly educated immigrants has helped Canada keep its top ranking as the G7 nation with the highest percentage of working age people carrying credentials from college or university.
“Canada has witnessed and is continuing to see a huge population of immigrants from India. 118,095 Indians became permanent residents in Canada in 2022. Whether it is the student community, skilled workers or blue collared jobs, there is a sizable population that comes here, embracing Canada. They are economically contributing; in such a case, Canada should have good ties with India. Such an unfortunate incident only discourages, spreads fear among people who would otherwise see it as a favourable destination,” says Srinjini Gupta. “And in such a scenario where there is such a massive exchange, it is incumbent upon the government to have a safe atmosphere,” she adds.
Carrying forward the same chain of thoughts, Sandhya said, “The government here needs to recognise that India is not Punjab, and Punjabis are not the only Indians. There are people from Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Hyderabad, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Uttarakhand etc, living here in Canada. And their number is not small either. There are more coming in the near future.They are thriving communities here, and they need to be recognised for what they are. In order to appease, protect a section/group, the government here can’t mess up with the safety and security of the rest,” she explains.
“There is a reason why people/ students are immigrating here. And safety tops the chart. If that’s compromised, then most people wouldn’t consider Canada for immigration.,” she ad
On a similar note, Sakshi Thakur says, “One person’s terrorist is another person’s freedom fighter. So it is hard to take sides and pinpoint who is wrong, and who’s right. At the end of the day, these are common occurrences, but they should be resolved diplomatically and behind closed doors.
To promote and sustain peace between Canada and India, several key principles and actions can be important:
- Diplomacy: Engaging in diplomatic discussions and negotiations to resolve conflicts and disputes through peaceful means is essential. Both countries can use diplomacy to address their concerns and find mutually acceptable solutions.
- Open Communication: Maintaining open and transparent channels of communication is vital. Regular dialogues at various levels, including diplomatic, political, and economic, can help prevent misunderstandings and promote cooperation.
- International Institutions: Both countries can utilize international organizations and forums, such as the United Nations, to address global issues, work together on common challenges, and advocate for peace and security on a broader scale.
- People-to-People Ties: Encouraging cultural exchanges, educational programs, and people-to-people interactions can foster mutual understanding and strengthen the bonds between the citizens of Canada and India.
- Economic Cooperation: Expanding trade and economic ties can benefit both countries and create mutual interdependence, which often contributes to peace and stability.
- Conflict Resolution Mechanisms: Having mechanisms in place to address any disputes that may arise, such as arbitration or mediation, can help prevent conflicts from escalating.
It’s worth noting that peaceful relations between nations require ongoing effort, goodwill, and a commitment to resolving differences through dialogue and negotiation. International relations can be complex, but maintaining peace is a shared responsibility and a goal that can benefit not only Canada and India but also the global community as a whole.
Are you disturbed, affected by the Canada India row personally? If yes, please reach out to share your views, opinions at monvoyagein. We document immigrant journey, the highs and the lows, all of it!